Vegetarians differ in degree, just as they differ in their reasons for adopting a vegetarian lifestyle.
- Partial or semi-vegetarians avoid some but not all animal products. They may eat chicken or fish and dairy products but no meat. Some eat fish but no poultry.
- Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products but avoid all flesh—they avoid “food with a face;” lactovegetarians don’t eat eggs.
- Vegans follow a strict diet that excludes all foods derived from animals, including eggs and dairy products.
- Fruitarians eat only fruit, nuts and seeds, honey, whole grains, and olive oil.
- Last Updated
- Nutrition: What Every Parent Needs to Know (Copyright © American Academy of Pediatrics 2011)
The information contained on this Web site should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.