Offering the most up-to-date information and statistics about the benefits of nursing, sage advice on how to establish a breastfeeding routine, and troubleshooting tips, the second edition of New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding will provide new and expectant moms with everything they need to know about breastfeeding.
It takes time (and practice!) for mom and baby to adjust to the new routine. Helping to smooth the process, this book provides easy-to-understand guidance and the latest medical findings to ensure that the breastfeeding experience is a healthy and positive one. Complete with more than 50 illustrations and drawings, numerous Q&A sidebars addressing common questions and concerns, and a handy list of other breastfeeding resources, New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding is an indispensable tool. This updated version covers more than a decade’s worth of the latest research, including:
• New research on ways breastfeeding can stave off childhood allergies and obesity
• Expanded coverage of proper nutrition for nursing mothers, including vitamin, mineral, and supplementation recommendations
• Information for mothers preparing for the first feeding and adjusting to home, family, and work as a nursing mother
• Proven ways to establish a nursing routine and what to do when mom returns to work
• Information on handling special situations like premature birth and C-sections
• Mom-tested solutions to common breastfeeding challenges
Under the direction of one of the country’s preeminent lactation experts, editor-in-chief Joan Younger Meek, MD, MS, RD, FAAP, IBCLC, this outstanding guide was developed with the assistance of numerous contributors from the AAP and is the essential resource for getting new moms and their babies off to the healthiest start possible.