, kerosene, lighter fluid, and certain other household cleaning products
present a high risk for injury or death when children mistake these hydrocarbons for food or drink and ingest the chemical.
Most injuries occur during warm weather months, with 31 percent of exposures being reported during warm months, versus 17 percent to 19 percent reported in the winter months. Most ED visits and calls to poison centers involved boys aged 1 to 2 years swallowing or breathing in gasoline, but most injuries did not require hospitalization.
Study authors conclude that, especially in the summer season, parents need to be especially vigilant when using and storing hydrocarbons. These products should be kept out of reach of children, and in their original, child-resistant containers, in order to avoid accidental exposures at home.