The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) announced the launch of HealthyChildren.org en Español, a website backed by 60,000 pediatricians providing support, resources and a host of features to enable Hispanic parents to quickly find important and trusted child health information in Spanish.
Hispanics are the largest minority in the United States, and so it is critical to address the health needs and issues that impact their children and families. The new website aims to improve child health literacy among Spanish-speaking parents and caregivers so they may better understand disease prevention and treatment, and as a result, feel empowered to be proactive about their children’s health.
Joanna Betancourt, MD, FAAP, spokesperson for the AAP, commenting on the impact of the website, said “Until now there has never been a reliable Spanish-language resource I could recommend to the Spanish-speaking parents whose children I care for. With the launch of HealthyChildren.org en Español, pediatricians can direct Hispanic families online to find culturally relevant information based on their children’s ages and health topics.”
HealthyChildren.org en Español offers trustworthy, up-to-the-minute health advice and guidance for Spanish-speaking parents and caregivers, including:
- KidsDoc Symptom Checker: An interactive tool in which parents can enter their child’s symptoms and receive up-to-date advice about how to treat minor illnesses at home, or when it’s time to call the doctor.
- Ask the Pediatrician: A tool that allows parents to browse a list of frequently asked questions, or pose their own questions.
- Find a Pediatrician: A tool that makes it easy for both first-time and experienced parents to find a Spanish-speaking AAP-member pediatrician in their area.
- Ages & Stages: Information on the health issues of infants through adolescents, including interactive content on developmental milestones.
- Healthy Living: Up-to-date guidance on fitness, sports, oral health, emotional wellness and nutrition.
- Safety & Prevention: Preparing for health scenarios that occur at home, school and on the go, as well as in-depth information on the immunizations children need to stay healthy.
- Health Issues: An A-to-Z list of more than 300 health care topics.
“Given the growth of the Hispanic online market, HealthyChildren.org en Español was created to help meet the demand for readily available child health information in Spanish,” said Thomas K McInerny, MD, FAAP, president of the AAP. “It is more than just an information portal; it is a virtual extension of the pediatrician whom Hispanic parents have always turned to as a trusted source of advice.”
All the content on HealthyChildren.org en Español reflects the latest scientific research and is developed and reviewed by leading pediatricians and other child health experts who serve large populations of Hispanic families. Whether they are seeking general information about children’s health, or specific answers to a pediatric issue, Spanish-speaking parents can be confident in the information they find on HealthyChildren.org en Español.
Registered users of HealthyChildren.org en Español enjoy a free, bi-weekly e-newsletter, a personalized home page featuring content based on the age of their child, and special offers. In celebration of the launch of the new website, the first 2,000 HealthyChildren.org en Español registered users will receive a free Spanish KidsDoc Symptom Checker App for iPhone and iPad devices.
HealthyChildren.org en Español is supported in part by Procter & Gamble’s Safe Home Campaign, Kellogg Company, and an independent grant from Merck & Co, Inc.