The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) continues to urge families NOT to buy fireworks for their own or their children's use, as thousands of people, most often children and teens, are injured each year while using consumer fireworks.
Despite the dangers of fireworks, few people understand the associated risks -- devastating burns, other injuries, fires and even death. The AAP is part of theAlliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks, a group of health and safety organizations that urges the public to avoid the use of consumer fireworks and to only enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals.
Fireworks Safety Tips for Families
Fireworks can result in severe burns, scars and disfigurement that can last a lifetime.
Sparklers can burn at more than 1000°F and account for 10% of fireworks-related injuries overall. So, even sparklers should be avoided.
It is better to be a spectator than a doer! Families should attend community fireworks displays run by professionals rather than using fireworks at home.
The AAP recommends prohibiting public sale of all fireworks, including those by mail or the Internet.
For More Information