Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
 
Safety & Prevention
Text Size
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest

Button Batteries: Damaging if Swallowed, Put in Ears or Nose

A child's curiosity can be dangerous. Each year, more than 3,000 button battery ingestions are reported in the US. Button batteries are the small round batteries found in small electronics, such as remote controls, toys, flameless candles, bathroom scales, and digital thermometers.

In this video, Kris R. Jatana, MD, FAAP, Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery at The Ohio State University & Nationwide Children's Hospital, explains the signs and symptoms of button battery ingestion—including when one is lodged in the ear canal or nose.

If you ever suspect your child swallowed a button battery, go immediately to an emergency room. Serious damage can occur in as little as 2 hours.

 


Additional Information from HealthyChildren.org:


​​
Last Updated
2/7/2017
Source
Copyright © 2016 American Academy of Pediatrics and American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
The information contained on this Web site should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest