Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Safety & Prevention
Text Size
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest

Healthy Children Radio: High-Powered Magnets

​Young children naturally put things in their mouths as part of their development, and pediatricians counsel parents to be aware of this risk and keep dangerous items out of their child’s reach. But no parent can be vigilant 100 percent of the time. Survey findings released recently by the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) provide compelling evidence that the use of warning labels in marketing and packaging of high-powered magnet sets have not been effective in preventing the ingestion of these magnets by infants, children and teenagers.

Pediatric gastroenterologist Mark A. Gilger, MD, FAAP, comes on the Healthy Children radio show to talk about the risks to children and what parents can do to protect their children.
Last Updated
American Academy of Pediatrics (Copyright © 2012)
The information contained on this Web site should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest