Young children naturally put things in their mouths as part of their development, and pediatricians counsel parents to be aware of this risk and keep dangerous items out of their child’s reach. But no parent can be vigilant 100 percent of the time. Survey findings released recently by the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) provide compelling evidence that the use of warning labels in marketing and packaging of high-powered magnet
sets have not been effective in preventing the ingestion of these magnets by infants, children and teenagers.
Mark A. Gilger, MD, FAAP, comes on the Healthy Children radio show to talk about the risks to children and what parents can do to protect their children.