What can I do to make grocery shopping with my child pleasant?
- Go shopping when neither you nor your child is hungry.
- Make a list in advance to save time while shopping.
- Use a safety belt when your child rides in a shopping cart.
- Bring toys to keep your child busy.
- Set clear rules for behavior (eg, no climbing out of the cart, no asking for candy), and praise your child for following the rules.
- Ask your child to help you look for food items.
- Talk to your child about what you are buying.
- If possible, do not rush your child. Children love to look around and discuss what they see.
Source: Bright Futures: Nutrition, 3rd Edition (Copyright © 2011 American Academy of Pediatrics)