Omitir los comandos de cinta
Saltar al contenido principal
 
Seguridad & Prevención
Tamaño del texto
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest

Radón: ¿Es seguro su hogar?

Radon is a gas that is a product of the breakdown of uranium in soil and rock. It also may be in water, natural gas, and building materials. High levels of radon are in homes in many regions of the United States.

It makes its way into homes through cracks or openings in the foundation, walls, and floors, or occasionally in well water. It does not cause health problems immediately upon inhalation. Over time, however, it can increase the risk of lung cancer. In fact, next to cigarette smoking, radon is thought to be the most common cause of lung cancer in the United States.

Prevention

To reduce your child’s risk of radon exposure:

  • Ask your pediatrician or the local health department whether radon levels are high in your community. 
  • Have your home tested for radon, using an inexpensive radon detector.  (Hardware stores sell these detectors.)  A certified laboratory should analyze the results of thistest. 
  • If the levels are too high in your home, call the Radon Hotline (operated by the National Safety Council in conjunction with the Environmental Protection Agency) at 1–800–767–7236; this is also a good resource for information on reducing the radon risk in your home.
Última actualización
8/20/2015
Fuente
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5 (Copyright © 2009 American Academy of Pediatrics)
La información contenida en este sitio web no debe usarse como sustituto al consejo y cuidado médico de su pediatra. Puede haber muchas variaciones en el tratamiento que su pediatra podría recomendar basado en hechos y circunstancias individuales.
Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest