First Aid - Croup with Stridor
- Stridor is a harsh, tight sound with breathing in. Stridor means the croup is severe.
- Breathe warm mist in a closed bathroom with the hot shower running. Do this for 20 minutes.
- Other Option: Use a wet washcloth held near the face. Can also use a humidifier containing warm water.
- Caution: Do not use very hot water or steam which could cause burns. Hot steam can also cause high body temperatures.
- If warm mist fails, breathe cool air by standing near an open refrigerator. You can also go outside with your child if the weather is cold. Do this for a few minutes.
Source: Health Navigator, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2018. Health Navigator, LLC. Used by Permission.