First Aid - Heat Exhaustion
- Move the victim to a cool shady area. If possible, move into an air-conditioned place.
- The victim should lie down. Elevate the feet.
- Undress victim (except for underwear) so the body surface can give off heat.
- Sponge the entire body surface continuously with cool water. Fan the victim to increase evaporation.
- Give as much cold water or sports drink (e.g., Gatorade, Powerade) as the victim can tolerate. An adult or teen with heat exhaustion should drink 2-3 cups (480-720 ml) of liquids right away to replace what was lost. Then the adult or teen should drink approximately 1 cup (240 ml) every 15 minutes for the next 1-2 hours.
Source: Health Navigator, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2018. Health Navigator, LLC. Used by Permission.