The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) continues to urge families NOT to buy fireworks for their own or their children's use, as thousands of people, most often children and teens, are injured each year while using consumer fireworks.
Despite the dangers of fireworks, few people understand the associated risks -- devastating burns, other injuries, fires and even death. The AAP is part of the Alliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks, a group of health and safety organizations that urges the public to avoid the use of consumer fireworks and to only enjoy displays of fireworks conducted by trained professionals.
Fireworks Safety Tips for Families:
Fireworks can result in severe burns, blindness, scars and even death.
Fireworks that are often thought to be safe, such as sparklers, can reach temperatures above 1000°Fahrenheit, and can burn users and bystanders.
Families should attend community fireworks displays run by professionals rather than using fireworks at home.
The AAP recommends prohibiting public sale of all fireworks, including those by mail or the Internet.
For More Information: