This spread makes a delicious and nutritious filling for anything from a sandwich to a celery stick. For a different taste, skip the cream cheese and stir the ingredients into peanut or almond butter. Yum!
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Sharp Knife (adult needed) or scissors
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- 7 dates or ¼ cup raisins, dried cranberries, or currants
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk, low-fat yogurt or milk
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Pit and chop the dates (if you use dates). If you like, you can cut them up with a clean pair of scissors instead of a knife!
- Put the cream cheese and buttermilk in a bowl and using a fork, mash until it is smooth.
- Add the dates (or dried fruit) and walnuts and mash until it is all combined.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
For more great recipes, click here.